INCI: dehydroacetic acid, benzyl alcohol
CAS No.: 100-51-6, 520-45-6
EINECS Nº: 202-859-9, 208-293-9
In natural cosmetics Geogard 221 is used as a preservative, this being a synergistic mixture with dehydroacetic acid and benzyl alcohol as active ingredients for use in cosmetic and personal care applications. Geogard® 221 provides broad spectrum efficacy and low cost of use. It is light in color, essentially odorless, and compatible with a wide range of product formulations. Provides effective formulation protection against bacteria and fungi. It is allowed to be used by ECOCERT, as a synthetic preservative in certified ecological and organic cosmetics.
It is used in shampoos, conditioners, rinses, liquid soaps, shower gels, lotions for sensitive skin, moisturizers and cold creams. Also applicable in baby products such as mild shampoos, hair detanglers, bubble baths, baby wipes and sanitary napkins. Geogard® 221 is recommended for sunscreen lotions and creams, surfactants, shampoo blends and conditioners.
Tests comparing Geogard 221 indicate higher efficacy and better performance in formulations with a low to neutral pH.
- Water soluble.
- Odor Odorless
- Pale yellow color
- Has a wide range of global regulatory approvals
- Easy to use and compatible with most types of cosmetic formulations.
- Wide effective pH range
- Compatible with key raw materials
- Careful handling
- Chemically and physically stable
- Meet the requirements of ECOCERT and COSMOS
- Approved by the Soil Association
- Not tested on animals
Most effective pH range:
- Anionics can cause discoloration, as can carbomers and certain surfactants.
The recommended usage rates: